Friday, April 08, 2011

Thin Water & Trout in Southern Arizona





I am amazed whenever I found trout in my part of the world, moreso when they are not stockers. But, these tough little fish don't have much longer (look at the 3rd photo) if we don't get some rain in Southern Arizona soon. I'm told the water was higher in just the past week and I could see evidence where the rocks had been underwater very recently. These were smaller fish (with one notable exception) in very clear water. They were tough to sneak up on (I forgot my knee pads) and the casts had to be pinpoint but it was well worth the drive - a little more than 2 hours from my front door. I started with a 2 piece Heddon 8' bamboo (equivilent to a model 20 or higher) that I will restore soon, but it was too long for the tight spots. Things really started singing when I strung up my Orvis 7 1/2' Impregnated Bamboo. I did best with dries, a size 16 X-Caddis did the best, but I missed several takes on a Royal Trude - just love those old-school patterns. I took one from the last fishable pool upstream (pic #1) and ended the day with a surprise fish close to picnic tables - I was so surprised I got my camera wet while struggling with the fish and it broke me off while I debated a beach shot. Perfectly fitting, that fish deserved anonimity I pray some of the showers I hit on the way home made it up to the peaks and refilled the banks. A perfect tonic to take my mind off taxes.

No comments: