Thursday, October 20, 2011

ARRIVACA 10-19-2011



Still pretty warm for October, so the topwater action is probably happening later. The lake was pretty far down, I had a hell of a time finding enough water to float me in the ramp area. The water is a rich pea green. I had visions of topwater action and started with a chartreause foam hopper that did nothing even with I found a couple working on top. It seems the fish were chasing the reddish/brown dragonflys so I went with a color match - a root-beer crystal bugger. My second cast to disappating rings resulted in a healthy 15 inch bass. I caught a couple while swimming the bugger (I was using a floating line) but all others came when I targeted a fish that slashed on top. All in the shade, all in shallow water near the shore. I may have been able to dredge some up with sink tip, but the hydrilla is just too thick to work through. I would normally have stayed until dark, but I didn't relish the idea of fighting through the mud in the dark. The majority of my fish here this year have been on crystal buggers, bluegills have been in short supply. I may come back, but only if we get some rain.

No comments: