Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Granger Favorite 9050

Okay, time to return to the confessional. This is one of the first rods I ever received in trade for a restoration job. I was living in Corpus Christi, TX at the time. It was 18-19 years ago (before my youngest was born. I restored a JC Higgins rod (it had heavy sentimental value) and got to keep the Granger. I was just starting out and didn't keep any notes or photos as I do now. I think it was in rough shape and I don't think the name stamp had survived. I used a (now) hideous combination of brown with tan trimming and I couldn't pull off the thin intermediates so they were twice the size. I used the hand-rubbed tung oil (the last time). I now know it is a 9050 by using a caliper on the ferrules, I also know it was made between 1935 and 1938 because the reel seat is marked "Pat. Pend". Luckily I more or less followed the intermediate pattern and I was able to use Michael Sinclair's marvelous book as a guide. The grip is new and I to trim a bit more, but wanted a slightly larger diameter, if I ever sell the rod, I will turn down to original specs. I totally respect these classic rods now and will change wrap colors only on the most generic rods or if I am replicating a sentimental repair job. I implore any of you just starting out, if you have to refinish/restore, stay true to original colors, save the decals/stamps even if only a trace remains. I took the rod to Yellowstone last year and appreciated the power while fishing the Lamar & Soda Butte on windy days. It was blind luck I stumbled into this rod - Grangers and Phillipsons have become my favorites, bar none.


No comments: