Friday, October 10, 2008

Arrivaca 10-8-2008


I knew it was a bit warm (high was about 90), but I wanted to see if the topwater bite was on. I had not fished Arrivaca in a couple of years - I fished it in it's heyday before the huge fishkill in the 90's - I'd have to consult my fishing journal to pin down the year. I've never duplicated the 28" bass I caught on a deer hair frog, but there is always enough to keep me coming back. The water levels were the highest I've see in years and I was impressed with the bankside growth. I didn't see a lot of topwater activity, I did hear some working deep in the, but managed to get a large (10") bluegill and one 11" bass - both on an Olive Baby-Doll I tied. I did get several takes from bluegills that would hit a bigger bug, but ignored a smaller topwater. I was surprised that that streamers & buggers trolled on a sink tip line failed to produce anything. I think I'll try it again next week as this weekend is going to be cooler. I'll try to post a picture of my bug next week.
Gilbert Castillo

No comments: