Thursday, October 16, 2008

ARRIVACA 10-15-2008



It was eight degrees cooler today, it had been much cooler over the weekend, 80 when I arrived. I tied up some Chaos hoppers since I had seen so many (natural, not foam) last week I decided to try for bluegills until I saw/heard bass working. Once again nothing doing when I trolled a marabou streamer, but the red-legged hopper started producing the the minute I laid it into shaded pockets. The first 5 were all feisty, healthy nine inch fish. I worked up the west bank to the dam and unlike last week, every likely spot produced a take. Lost the first fly, lost the next one (green) to a fish since I tied a quick knot, got nothing with natural Baby Doll and went back to a yellow hopper that produced all the way back to the launch area. The largest 'gill of the day (first picture) was over 10 inches long - a ton of fun on a fly rod. I took a break in cool grove under rustling leaves & saw a full moon come up over the Rincons on the drive home - one of those magical days you won't forget.
Gilbert Castillo

No comments: