Friday, November 21, 2008

BAMBOO RODS






Well, it's time to discuss another eccentricity. Flyfishing is consuming enough, the band has taken away fishing weekends but my move to cut gigs in half has allowed me to resume work on a score of rods. Pictured is my long-time favorite, a Wright & McGill Granger Special 8642 I found when I was visiting my parents in Lubbock. I'm a fisherman first, collector second - as proof, this rod was near mint when I bought it, complete with the plastic cover over the grip. I'm of the school that believes these rods were made to be fished and that's what I did. It's taken trout in Yellowstone, New Mexico & Lee's Ferry, but I've never used it for bass or bluegill.





I had to force myself to use other rods and I have plenty. I just can't spend the money for the high-end rods, most of my collection includes production rods, most obtained in trade when I restored a rod. The most I ever spent was on a Kane Klassic from the National TU Convention in Colorado, 1999, the least was $10 for an HI to practice restoration (actually a servicable bass rod after I completed it). The Kane Klassic was much too wimpy, and I vowed never to spend that much again, especially since I loved the action of my Granger, Phillipson & Heddons much more. My plan is to sell the Klassic and replace it with a couple of project rods.



Okay, I am going to inventory my assortment, possibly post it, but will post pictures of the progression - I am currently working on a Heddon #17. If anyone ever reads this and shares this passion, judging by the activity on EBay, I know you're out there, drop me a line. Share a tip or ask a question.




Gilbert Castillo

No comments: