Monday, June 06, 2011

The Mystery of the Montague Flash




I wish I had the full story on this rod. I bought it in a group with a Wright & McGill Waterseal and 2 tubes. My main desire was the tubes, nice burgandy with gold trim aluminum. The Waterseal was a combo rod and the pictures of this rod were fuzzy, but I could see the paper band on the grip. I honestly doubt this rod was ever fished but I assume it was crushed at some time. The stripping guide was bent, someone had glued a separation in the butt section and wrapped with heavy thread. Inexplicably every male ferrule has a crack - the bane of Montague ferrules, but there are no scratches on the reel seat and the decal is pristine. All I did was bend the stripper back into shape, re-wrap it with vintage Gudebrod Champion nylon thread and dip the butt from the wrap above the decal. The rod casts well, I am fairly certain it would stand up well if fished, but think it should be displayed - it is as clean and straight as any vintage bamboo rod I had have ever seen. I'll probably post it on eBay later today, I don't think any of the collectors on the Classic Fly Rod Forum would have any interest in it.

No comments: