Monday, June 06, 2011

South Bend 323 8.5' HDH





It's been almost 1 year (July 30) that my house was flooded. Ironically, the only rod that was totally ruined was an HEH version of this same model. This one was in a PVC tube that was used for shipping, water had crept in, soaked the sleeve and after months in storage, smelled like a bloated carp that had spend a week in the sun. Every section had de-laminated, but luckily the wraps held so I was able to reglue everything. I lost the decals, the bottom knob on the reel seat was corroded, but I was able to take it apart, clean and oil it so it does work. I was pretty pleased with the look of the cane considering that I was worried all the power fibers had wasted away. I don't think I will ever be able to sell this so it will be part of the 10 rods I will eventually keep. It does cast a 6 wt Sylk line nicely - it will serve as a reminder of living through adversity.

No comments: