Friday, June 10, 2011

Unknown South Bend Bamboo Rod




Okay, a "work in progress" post. Here's a South Bend (no markings on rod, but the reel seat is stamped) I'm restoring. The gent had been given my name by the folks at Dry Creek, but the phone number was wrong. I happened to catch his post on The Classic Fly Rod Forum. The rod is rough, missing the ferrule & tip top on the tip - the tip also had a pretty severe set.

Found a ferrule, got the tip straightened up. I added a bit of cork putty to fill a couple of divots in the grip and found that the thread was a dark green with orange tipping - at first glance it looked like dark blue & rust. As usual, the cane is several shades lighter. I began wrapping this morning. Stay tuned.


The wraps are done, 2 coats of lacquer. I will put some spar varnish on the wraps and dip this weekend - I would do it tomorrow but we have a gig at Heritage Highlands. Not sure if I should continue my Granger Favorite or knock out another one to post for sale - all those taxes paid and now I have to enteratain the in-laws the next 2 weeks.

Things turned out nicely and the colors were muted by the varnish. I'm going to rotate the female ferrule on the mid for Bob as it angles just a bit. Time to complete the Granger Favorite.






No comments: